Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fall is here in Georgia



These shots are what we expected to find in Georgia around this time of year. It is happening, just a lot slower than expected. You see, we are from sunny Southern California and were excited to actually see trees change color. We were eager to appreciate four seasons, not just two, 1 being hot and dry about 300 days a year, and the rest is chilly (by California standards) and wet (also California standards). California is a large state with vastly different climates and cultures in itself. Obviously I am sharing things from where I am from. Hang on, let me explain...

California standards for weather are most likely very mild compared to other parts of this great country of ours.

Summer is hot and dry and lovely! Temperatures normally gets above 100 Fahrenheit. I personally do not start complaining until it gets to 110. I remember one summer we had to fill up 2 gallon jugs with water and freeze it, then place it in the cages for our rabbits. I believe we lost all but two to that crazy heat wave. Oh, I can not forget about our famous, or infamous depending on your stance, lightning storms that envelope the sky all around you. We can not discuss summer is So Cal without talking about fire season. The worst thing about the year is FIRE SEASON!

Fall officially kicks off in September, but we do not get any relief from the warmth until mid November. The leaves of trees appear to have turned brown and withered over night. However, we do not get a lot of leaves falling unless they are not native to the area. Thanksgiving is always a great time of year: families getting together and the kids playing out front skateboarding or riding bikes. Last time it snowed was in 2004. In snowed for almost half an hour, but people were knocking on their neighbor's door and everyone was outside on the street TRYING to have a snow ball fight!



Winter is normally dry and cold. Waking up to dew freezing over lawns, porches, windows, trees, windshields. Probably the closest feeling I have had to that special magic of waking up and finding fresh snow blanketing your yard. I loved waiting at the bus stop and seeing my breath escape from my mouth. Sweaters, jeans, hoodies, boots, and sneakers.... No umbrellas or large parkas for us, that comes later!

From March to May break out your umbrellas and rain boots for Spring is here! Spring brings blooms, tad poles, puddles, worms on the sidewalk, lunches inside the multi-purpose room. The flooding always makes trips out to the movie rental store more exciting. Hanging out with friends while it is pouring outside seemed almost prophetic to being an adult. It is really a glorious time. Filled with new and exciting things like recess inside and rainy day schedules!!!!


WOW! Get a grip on reality. For a second there, I saw myself with my head down on the desk and my thumb in the air, just DARING someone to touch my thumb! I would try desperately to peek at their shoes, trying to ensure me the honor of being the select few! Or, in second grade playing Four Corners trying desperately to be the last person standing! Those were all good times. Things did not seem so serious, I guess my parents did a great job at making me have no worry except what I would do for fun tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment